Have you ever gotten home from the grocery store, put away your groceries, and wonder how the heck you ended up getting so much?
“This PILE wasn’t on my list!?” you think to yourself.
It’s fantastic to have a list and budget in place to control your spending, but if you don’t know the tricks used to get into your wallet, then all that wonderful planning can go right out the window!
How Your Grocery Store Tricks You Into Spending More
1. Scent-I challenge you to find a store where the smell of pre-cooked meals or bakery items aren’t the first thing your nose is accosted with!
2. Larger/Redesigned Carts-They’re bigger, have you noticed? And with cup holders and other compartments, alot of them just scream “Don’t you want to spend all day here?!”
3. Bulk/Large Packaging-Focus within the store as well as in your flyer can be placed on larger packaged items. This typically influences your consumption.
For example, usually you drink a 6 pack of soda each week, but the 12 pack is on sale, and suddenly you’re drinking 12 a week…even after the sale is over!
4. Color Influence-The produce section is at the front of the store. When you walk in you see all the fresh bright colors and it puts you in a mood to spend more!
Start your shopping in the middle of the store and get all your packaged foods first, grab produce last!
5. Don’t Ditch The Goods!-A study was done showing that 60% of shoppers would “ditch” items while waiting in line at the cash (pre-buyer’s remorse)…so checkout lanes got narrower with less counter space to put stuff down!
6. Music-Most stores play music with a rhythm that is slower than the average heartbeat, making you move slower and stay in the store longer…try shopping with headphones and upbeat music to get in and out with just your list items!
7. Convenience Costs!-People think buying multiples of items can be cheaper when they are packed together, but typically buying individual items is cheaper than packaged (especially when it comes to produce!).
Avoid the fruits and vegetables that are already packed up and bag your own!
8. Multi-buy Offers-Many times you will see sales like “Bread 2/$5″, which inspires people to buy 2 for the deal, even if they only need one.
90% of the time if you read the fine print you can buy just 1 and it will still be $2.50 (half of the deal price)!
9. Flyers-Just because something is in the flyer, doesn’t mean it’s on sale! Know your prices and shop according to that!
Keep your eyes open ladies, there are some sneaky store’s out there!
How Do You AVoid Getting Sucked In By Marketing Tactics Like This?
This post may contain affiliate links, from which I earn a small commission. You will not be charged any extra by purchasing through our links, but will help in maintaining this blog. Thank you in advance for your support! You can learn more here