I recently asked on Facebook?what you felt your biggest challenge was as a Mom. Not in regards to parenting, or running a household, just for you.
It didn?t come as much of a surprise that the biggest challenge that kept coming up was finding time for yourself! Many of us have very long lists of priorities, at the bottom of which we will find ourselves, all cozy and warm in a familiar, ?non-priority? place!
Taking care of yourself (and your sanity!) is not only important to get you through the week, but will?improve the way you care for your family, and even impact your health.
I?ve written before about the importance of self care, as well as how I make it a priority in my life. But sometimes you have a crazy day/week/MONTH and it seems like you really just can?t squeeze it in?back down the list you go!
Enter, ?Mommy Minute?!
What Is A Mommy Minute?
A Mommy Minute is something I came up with by accident, and just kind of?stuck!
Whenever I start feeling exhausted, overwhelmed, or just plain can?t figure out what to do next on my million item to-do list, I take a Mommy Minute!
I let Maddie know ?I?m taking a Mommy Minute?, and I physically remove myself from wherever I am for a change of scenery (even if it?s just to the other end of the room). During my Mommy Minute I will do 1 of 10 things I?ve learned help bring me back to a place where I can think clearly, and continue my day with confidence and a positive attitude?and each of them only takes a minute!
Benefits Of Mommy Minutes?
There have been 3 game changing?benefits from the birth of ?Mommy Minute? in our house, all of I which ?didn?t see coming!
- Continuing to take Mommy Minutes has made me more aware of my limits, and I?m more willing to recognize when I need to step back instead of push through (like most of us do!), making Mommy Minutes fewer and farther between each day!
- Maddie sees me recognizing when I need a minute, as well as how I deal with these feelings, and she?s followed suit! When she starts feeling too wound up, or just gets frustrated, she takes a ?Maddie Minute?, and comes back calm, cool, and ready to move on!
- My hubby has started to notice the things that cause me to need a Mommy Minute, and instead of expecting me to continue on anyway, he knows my limits and helps out more when he sees me getting close!
10 Ways To Spend Your Mommy Minute
Obviously, everyone will be different, and you will have to see what works best to give you that quick boost a Mommy Minute is for! These are the top 10 things that work for me?
- Listen to a favorite song?and sing along! Loud and proud sister!
- Change clothes! I know this may seem odd, but honestly, even just switching my sweater can make it feel like I?m starting fresh!
- Lotion. A bit of your favorite scented lotion rubbed into your hands is totally calming, and refreshing, all at once!
- Deep breathing. When I get overwhelmed or frustrated, this is a great way to calm down and refocus on the goal! Make sure you breath through your ?belly? when you do this, so push your stomach out when you breathe in and the opposite when you breathe out. This helps you focus more on your breathing and lets you enjoy it more instead of focusing on?why you need this breathing to begin with!
- Flip through a magazine. Keep a couple of faves on hand and sit in a corner and flip through for a minute. This can be incredibly inspirational if you have things on your to-do list involving organizing and cleaning, which lets face it?you do!
- Re-write your to-do list! When I use my minute to re-write the initial to-do list I had for the day, leaving off the items I have already completed, it helps to have a visual of a shorter, much less overwhelming list!
- Paint your nails! A quick touch up just to do something for you in the midst of things for everyone else!
- Count to 100?it?s amazing how quickly you can clear your head when you?re just focusing on numbers! I am usually good by around 40!
- Smile in the mirror for 30 seconds?yup, for real! You?ll feel like an absolute crazy person, and it will honestly be the longest 30 second of your life,?but I promise you will walk away from that mirror 10x happier than the person that walked up to it!
- Send a friend a happy message! So much of our time when we?re feeling like there?s no time for us is spent focusing on that, and we don?t even consider that the way we?re feeling right now?someone else might be too! Send a friend a positive message, a thank you, or something to make them laugh! Not only will you feel better for doing something nice, but you?ll be able to connect with that person when they reply, and you may have just made their day!
How do you keep yourself a priority? What gets in the way? Comment below!
This post may contain affiliate links, from which I earn a small commission. You will not be charged any extra by purchasing through our links, but will help in maintaining this blog. Thank you in advance for your support! You can learn more here